Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Ghost towns

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Ghost towns
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:47:27 EDT
Lenny

You are right on all counts...you get the prize.

Just to complete the record. Togo was originally called Bethany Junction.
Merle Junction was originally called Conway Crossing. Also don't forget
Delphos and Irena on the Dirty Side. Giles was named for W.F. Giles (I
believe that there was a Senior and a Junior both Q Superintendts and perhaps
General Manager).

Two summers ago I made a trip up the Chariton Branch starting just north of
St. Joe. I got into Albany, but I couldn't figure out how to get to Albany
Jct. I almost got stuck on a no maintenance road west of Albany trying to
find my way in. Finally my wife's cooler head prevailed and we gave it up.
We did see the crossing a ways west of Albany where the Dirty Side crossed
whatever highway that is. Glad to know that it can be seen from I35. Maybe
that will help me get in.
I haven't tried yet to get into Giles. Do you have any hints on that?

I've wondered over the years how the Dirty Side got its name. It was first
brought to me by H.E. (Hap) Ware who was a St. Division Agentf? Did you know
him? He died while working at Mound City in 1959 after Corning was closed.

My railfan buddy Jim Christen and I have speculated that the Dirty Side name
came from the fact that lots of cattle were shipped from stations on that
line. Are you following the George Young cattle affair. Young's office was
at Grant City and apparently most of his feeding operation was in that area.

Are you familiar with Harry Bedwell? He is my favorite railroad fiction
writer. He began as a student operator at Andover, Mo on the Chariton branch
in the late 1800's. One of his stories titled "When There's Traffic To Move"
could very well have originated from his days on the Chariton Branch. It
involved cattle shipments and a branch line train connecting with another
branch line train i.e. Togo or Albany Jct.

I rode the Chariton Branch summer 1953 northbound. Left St. Joe 4:00am.
Made the side trip from Albany Jct. to Grant City and return. Didn't get the
north end of the DS since it was served by a turn out of Chariton. At that
time the St. Joe crew tied up at Davis City and the crew which made the turn
to Mt. Ayr via Togo picked up our train at Togo.

Pete Hedgpeth