Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Centerville combine

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Centerville combine
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:54:57 EDT
Larry

Glad to hear from an "on the spot reporter".

Give me your snail mail address and I'll send you some info on Sedan.

I don't have my old TT's here and need to be accurate when I tell you, but
Sedan is where the old Keokuk and Western (Centerville Line in later days)
crossed the Q line running from Burlington-Bloomfield and ultimately to
Carrollton, MO. In addition the old Iowa and St. Louis originated there and
ran south to Elmer, MO.

Through the 1930's the Motor Car running on the Burlington, IA Carrolton, MO
line would make a side trip from Sedan into Centerville. I have a 1938
Timetable which shows that.

Let me have your snail mail address and I'll photocopy the info I have and
send it along. There is with my info an article from THE SWITCHLAMP which, I
believe, is the publication of an Iowa railfan's group regarding a 1968
search for Sedan.

In the meantime, I'll get my 38 TT over here where my computer is and give a
bit more accurate description. I do recall the SWITCHLAMP article saying
that Sedan is in the Chariton River Valley.

Pete Hedgpeth

PS I don't suppose you have Corbin's ACROSS IOWA.... but if you do there is
a little section on Sedan with a very faded picture. I'll photo that also
and send it along.

Maybe we can meet someday and go to SEDAN.

After looking at an Iowa map, I believe that Sedan is significantly west and
a bit north of Moulton. If memory serves, it was about 8 miles by rail from
Centerville.