Re: [BRHSlist] Q Gallery Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, elmer53@y...
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Q Gallery Cars
From: Bryan Howell <tubaman21@y...>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:36:12 -0700 (PDT)
--- Thomas Kaufman <elmer53@y...> wrote:

> --- Bryan Howell <tubaman21@y...> wrote:
> > Hi! I am at the next step of my gallery car(took
> > while, probably even longer now that school has
> > started) and needed to ask a question about the
> cab
> > end of the car. I know this was painted in a
> > red/white(correct me if I'm wrong) strip pattern.
> If
> > any one has a picture or a drawing or something,
> it
> > would be a great help. Thanks in Advance!
> >
> > =====
> > Bryan J. Howell
> > tubaman21@y...
> > tubaman221@h...
> > http://www.angelfire.com/il2/burlingtonzephyrs
> >
> > You didn't say what era you were modeling. I trust
> since you said "Q"
> cab car you mean original. But since you mentioned
> red and white stripes I
> will answer that too. When the cars were original,
> the ends of the car had
> a stripe pattern of five stripes, three red two
> white, in a 45 degree
> pattern that started halfway up the rear door
> towards the roof. There also
> was a "Burlington Route" herald mounted just below
> the window of the rear
> door. Car numbers were placed on each side of the
> door above the floor
> line. In the BN era the red/white striped ends came
> into play most likely
> for safety reasons. These were in a 45 degree
> pattern that covered the
> whole rear area. Two small red lights were mounted
> about window level of
> the lower level, no herald present, but the train's
> departure time was
> mounted level with the door handle of the rear door.
> It appears the train
> departure sign was removeable so as schedules
> changed during the day the
> times could be changed. I gleaned this info for the
> CB&Q from Pat Dorin's
> Commuter Railroads, and the BN information from
> Dorin's Everywhere West
> The Burlington Route. Hope this helps.Tom Kaufman

I don't realy know what era yet. Probably back when
the zephyrs were in operation. Do you (Mr. Kaufman)
or anyone else on the list have a photo of that end of
the car? Preferably color if so. I have a black and
white photo but it doesn't help me much. Once again.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

=====