Re: [BRHSlist] Q Gallery Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Q Gallery Cars
From: Thomas Kaufman <elmer53@y...>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
--- Bryan Howell <tubaman21@y...> wrote:
> Hi! I am at the next step of my gallery car(took a
> while, probably even longer now that school has
> started) and needed to ask a question about the cab
> end of the car. I know this was painted in a
> red/white(correct me if I'm wrong) strip pattern. If
> any one has a picture or a drawing or something, it
> would be a great help. Thanks in Advance!
>
> =====
> Bryan J. Howell
> tubaman21@y...
> tubaman221@h...
> http://www.angelfire.com/il2/burlingtonzephyrs

> You didn't say what era you were modeling. I trust since you said "Q"
cab car you mean original. But since you mentioned red and white stripes I
will answer that too. When the cars were original, the ends of the car had
a stripe pattern of five stripes, three red two white, in a 45 degree
pattern that started halfway up the rear door towards the roof. There also
was a "Burlington Route" herald mounted just below the window of the rear
door. Car numbers were placed on each side of the door above the floor
line. In the BN era the red/white striped ends came into play most likely
for safety reasons. These were in a 45 degree pattern that covered the
whole rear area. Two small red lights were mounted about window level of
the lower level, no herald present, but the train's departure time was
mounted level with the door handle of the rear door. It appears the train
departure sign was removeable so as schedules changed during the day the
times could be changed. I gleaned this info for the CB&Q from Pat Dorin's
Commuter Railroads, and the BN information from Dorin's Everywhere West
The Burlington Route. Hope this helps.Tom Kaufman