Re: [BRHSlist] MTZ pic (was New file uploaded to BRHSlist)

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] MTZ pic (was New file uploaded to BRHSlist)
From: "muffie" <muffie@i...>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 15:05:28 -0500
Gee, Dave - I'm glad you asked!

The guy on the right is me.

The pic was taken in Mt. Pleasant, IA in the summer of 1962. MTZ had been
purchased for "permanent" display at the Midwest Old Threshers grounds in Mt.
P. by Ernie Hayes (the guy on the left). Note that the car is up on housemover
dollies. I had been in the process of crawling around under the train to remove
the articulation kingpins so it could be separated and moved, but I can't
recall whether this pic (I *think* for the Burlington HawkEye) was taken at the
Iowa Wesleyan siding (where the train was delivered) or on site at the grounds.

Please note also the tailboard reading "Mark Twain Zephyr". The original
nameplates had all been stolen before the train was delivered and the WB shops
had made new ones. There is *NO* evidence I have seen that the train ever saw
service with the Mark Twain boards - It apparently used the "Burlington-Zephyr"
boards just like 9900 (and 9901-02 when not on B-RI property).

Thanks for the nostalgia rush. I hadn't seen or thought of that photo for
decades!

Marshall Thayer