Forreston

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Forreston
From: rherrick01@e...
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:23:34 -0000
Fellow Q modelers:

I'm seeking information on the Q's mixed train service to Forreston,
Illinois in the 1920's.

By way of background, The IC's Gruber Line passed through Forreston
from Freeport. The C&I built northwest from Oregon through Mount
Morris to Forreston, enroute to Bellvue, Iowa and a route to the Twin
Cities. Overton (Burlington Route-A History of the Burlington Lines)
states that a deal was cut whereby the C&I halted construction at
Forreston in exchange for the IC handing off Chicago-bound traffic.

The Q operated mixed train service to Forreston until ca 1932 when
the rails were removed to Mount Morris. 1920-era Q timetables show
an operator on duty at Forreston but Val records state the Q had
trackage rights over the IC to enter town, leading to speculation
that the Q utilized the IC depot.

The timetables also indicate the presence of a turntable and water,
but no coal. It seems unlikely the IC would need a turntable at
Forreston, given the nearness of the Freeport yard. Perhaps the Q
owned the turntable and tank and utilized the IC depot.

Second question: what equipment would have been used on this branch
to accommodate passengers in mixed train service? Wood combines of
the era appear only on Lines West in the photos I've seen. Perhaps
passengers rode in the waycar. Hopefully not the CW's (at$300-plus a
pop which would be tough on the wallet right now).

Thirdly, since there were no steam tie-up facilities at Forreston,
Mount Morris, Oregon or Rochelle, would the mixed trains have
operated from Eola/Autora?

Finally, what sort of power would have been used in the 20's? Corbin
(Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route) indicates that Prairies
were used in freight service on the Twin Cities route in this era.
The Spring 2000 issue of Locomotive Quarterly has a photo of an H-
class Mogul switching Oregon in 1930. Perhaps the R-class held down
the mainline freights and the H and K classes were used for locals
and branchlines.

Would appreciate any and all feedback. Would also appreciate a
photocpy of a track chart of Forreston pre-1932 and sources for
photos.

Thanks for your help, as always.

Bob Herrick