Re: NPP Pioneer Zephyr.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: NPP Pioneer Zephyr.
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:50:56 -0700
The recent thread on availability of the Pioneer Zephyr in HO attracted my attention. Prices for these over the years have been low to reasonable generally, the prices kept low by better engineered models being produced in the interim by Challenger. I believe that the price has gone up in the interim, but will probably recede once the long-promised new models from Challenger are actually in the country.

I have one of the original NPP sets, with fourth car added, made by KMT in ?early '70's. As a model it can look pretty good, but operate pretty bad (never mind the grammar). The basic problem is that all of the single-power-truck articulated models (Pioneer Zephyr, General Pershing, etc.) lack sufficient weight/power to drag a bunch of poorly-rolling brass cars around the layout, unless track is flat, or slightly downgrade.

The NP PZ is additionally hampered by a very poor drive truck, with a plastic gear drive train and worm gear, driven by a vertically-mounted three pole open frame motor. The plastic gear train almost always fails with cracked gears, the worm gear similarly, but much less often.

I have at least partially corrected and or alleviated some of these issues, as follows:

1) I replaced all of the spur gears with NWSL gears. To remove the idlers, I ground off the lips of the rivets holding them in place to the internal truck frame. Each new idler gear required being ground/milled down to the same relatively-thin thickness of the original NPP gears. I then fastened each gear idler back in place by drilling and tapping each hort axle, replacing the riveted lip with a screw (0-80?) fastened from the back.

2) A Sagami can motor replaced the KMT motor. It bolted right in place with the same screws. The original worm was kept (steel). Some of the original worms are reportedly brass, and if so should probably be replaced with a NWSL equivalent.

3) The drive truck frame simply rides on axle extensions and does no real work. Unfortunately, it also constitutes a nest of various and episodic electrical shorts. I solved it by widening the truck bolster very slightly, and then epoxy-gluing insulated washers over the truck frame axle holes to hold the frames away from touching the insulated wheels.

4) I loaded up virtually all available space in the front end of the car body with lead- in fact every single nook and cranny. I shaped the lead to form fit inside the sloping nose, but left a "slot" across the windows into which I fitted suitable sawed-off crew figures. The slot is painted flat black so that no one notices this subterfuge.

I even wrapped and fastened sheet lead around the motor.

5) The articulated truck to the rear of the motored car is also a nest of shorts, handled with a variety of pieces of insulating styrene sheeting, etc.

Does it all work? For the most part yes. It will take the three car train up a 2% grade without difficulty, but struggles with the fourth car. The final solution is going to arrive by finding some way to improve dramatically the rolling characteristics of the car trucks ( as usual with so many brass cars, the PZ's truck wheels roll like casters in deep sand). The solution is probably going to come by insertion of conical bearing inserts into the truck bearing holes, and then fitting in NWSL 30" nickel silver wheel sets with the appropriate-length axles.

There are other things that can be done to improve this train as well, such as adding class lights, windshield wipers, proper horns, and ventilating windows in the windshield assembly. I have done all of this, and it really "looks good". I have yet to create the interiors, or the proper glazing treatments in the trailing cars.

Anyway, this old model can be made both presentable and reliable.

I have done similar to the Hallmark 9902 General Pershing, and it runs like a fine Swiss watch, hauling not only all of its cars, but also the extra Pullman behind the power car that the train commonly hauled KC to St. Louis from Billings, MT. I just recently converted the power car to Soundtraxx, and both it and its train are real Stars.

Denny

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, California