Re: [BRHSlist] Bituminous vs. Lignite

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Bituminous vs. Lignite
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:51:05 -0800
Steve --

There is a picture on p. 117 of Corbin and Kerka showing 0-3 # 5320 with a
Coffin FWH. Says these were applied to 3 others of that class and later
removed. The list of locomotive assignments from 1935 (page 292 of C&K)
lists these locomotives as Nos. 5318, 5320, 5325, and 5341. All were
assigned to the Ottumwa division and were bituminous coal burners. A quick
perusal of that same list shows them as the only Coffin-equipped engines on
the Q (although maybe I missed one or two others). And those feedwater
heaters were apparently gone by the time of the 1952 list (wonder why the
Coffins were less successful than either the Worthington or Elesco units?).
Extended smokeboxes for lignite, however, were VERY widespread on the Lines
West, and were to be found on most of the 4-8-2s, as well as many 2-6-2s,
2-8-2s, 2-10-2s and other classes.

Jonathan Harris