Re:Bituminous vs. Lignite

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re:Bituminous vs. Lignite
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:16:09 -0700
Friends, a number of CB&Q steam locomotives were originally constructed for, or were converted later to use specifically either Bituminous coal (Illinois), or Lignite (Wyoming?). As I understand it, Hastings NE was the dividing point in this regard.

Now, just exactly were the specific differences between locomotives equipped to burn one or the other? I do note in Corbin's book that some locomotives have the appearance of really marked smoke box extensions, while others of the same class do not- with no explanation.

One caption mentions that the bulging smoke box was to provide a much bigger chamber for unconsumed lignite particles to burn out before being pushed out the stack. Is this bulging smoke box one of the features exclusive to lignite, and in this regard, some, or all? Would an order for new locomotives X number for bituminous, and Y for lignite then come from the manufacturer with these respective and distinctive smokebox differences?

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA