Re: [BRHSlist] Es pulling Heavywieghts

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Es pulling Heavywieghts
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@h...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:52:09 -0600
DRale,

Growing up in Northern Wyoming and now living in Billings, Mt. I used to
see both the Denver-Billings & Omaha-Billings trains quite often and 99.99%
of the time the Coaches and Pullmans were Heavyweights (I never saw
otherwise). Power was usually a single E-7 or E-8 (I think the E-9's were
kept back east for Chicago- Twin Cities, DZ and commuter service). The
Havelock baggage cars were often regulars in both the Pullman Green and
Aluminum schemes. Occasionally a C&S Aluminum painted Heavyweight coach
would be on the Denver-Billings train. Lately- however, several photos have
surfaced showing the early Budd Coaches on the Omaha-Billings trains. One
photo is on page 35 in Al Holck's 'Burlington Route- Color Pictorial' Vol. 2
by FourWaysWest. It shows train #43 at Gillette, Wy in 1968 and you can
clearly see the Budd Coach. The other photo just came out in the recent
issue of Classic Trains showing #43 at Osage, Wy in 1969 with a Budd Coach.
Heck- there is even a picture of a Budd Dome being used on #41 taken during
the winter of 1968 at Broken Bow, Ne., on page 27, in Kistler & Hardy's book
'Alliance and Everywhere West'! I don't know if it was pulled at Alliance
and returned on #43, or if it made it all the way to Billings, but I can
dream and speculate!

John Olson-owner
Jim's Junction
Billings, Mt.
406-259-5354 Store, Answering machine & Fax machine
<trains28@h...>
<http://www.jimsjunction.com>
Selling quality HO/N Scale items for 15 years- Worldwide shipping available