Re: [BRHSlist] Stainless Steel paint

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Stainless Steel paint
From: Eric Mumper <eric_mumper@m...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:51:30 -0500
Sender: ericm
Bryan,
I hate to put a damper on the fire, but metallics are the hardest
things to paint and get right. (Just ask the guys doing natural metallic
airplanes.) An airbrush, or at the very least, spray can is the best
way. My suggestion for advice is to go to a hobby shop selling scale
model airplanes. The paints you want will be in that section anyway. I
believe Testors has a metallizer line that is decent and there is a rub
and buff system out there that produces really good results. Handling
and decalling is another problem. Most of the metallics do not do well
with clear coats except for one: Future floor wax. The airplane guys
use this all the time. It is an acrylic and creates a fantastic clear
finish that can then be handled and decalled over.
I know this isn't exactly what you wanted to hear, and hopefully
someone else has a better solution, but it can be done and made to look
really good with a little effort.

Eric Mumper