Re: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q Cantilever Signal Bridges

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q Cantilever Signal Bridges
From: Steven Holding <hold-on@s...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 04:24:45 -0500
Ryan and others
That signal was the first westward signal west of LaVergne at MP9.57 and was
used to protect the hand throw switch at the east end of Congress Park.
Often called a starting signal it allowed the use of the plant at LaVergne
for a switch move and yet you could also use the East End of the Yard at
Congress Park for a switch move or run around. You always had to remember
to also punch that signal when someone left the yard at Cicero otherwise
they would not have a signal. It added flexibility to the operations. A
little like the hand throw crossover at Maple Ave in Brookfield between Main
2 and 3. A train could be sitting on Main 2 sitting out cars on the South
Wye at Congress Park and still run an eastbound train thru the plant at
Congress Park. The eastbound on Main 3 got a Lunar aspect meaning proceed
at Restricted Speed. Which reads "Proceed prepared to stop short of train,
engine, sbstruction, or switch not properly lined, looking out for broken
rail or anything that may require the speed of a train or engine to be
reduced, but not exceeding 20 MPH." Once the train on main two finished his
setout and restored the switch to normal and locked it up the cab signals
would clear (on Passenger Trains) and a suburban train could then proceed at
normal speed. Lunar signals were also great for switching moves like a
pickup at Eola for letting the head end of the train back against its self.
Glen this one does show up on the Alignment Charts as CANT SIG BR 9.57
The Galesburg bridge shows as CANT SIG BR 163.08
SJH