Last Bastion of 3 man crews

To: Brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Last Bastion of 3 man crews
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:30:10 EDT
Its former Q territory so I guess its an applicable subject for this list.
The east End dinkies are the last stronghold of the 3 man train crew(the
fireman has been gone for several yrs unfortunately). Now with the summer
vacation in full swing the dinkies are running more shorthanded than usual.
So Mgmt is "stealing" a crew member from a later depating train to help on
earlier trains so that there's at least a Conductor and one Brkmn on each
train. With the heavy use of 10 ride passes that each need to be punched for
each trip and the corresponding decline in monthly passes(rider vacations and
work at home options) it takes longer to get thru a car. Some revenue
probably goes uncollected but then one salary is saved.Hard to say who wins
the battle. Makes me wonder how long the third man will last? One rumor says
when Dave (Supt Sub services retires) so goes the 3rd man.
Gee,I'm feeling really old as I remember a minimum of 5 crew mwmbers on each
dinky and sometimes as high as 7 no make that eight!
Leo