Oregon CB&Q Depot NEWS !!!!

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Oregon CB&Q Depot NEWS !!!!
From: Jerry Stauffer <jerstauf@e...>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 07:16:17 -0500
Here is some VERY GOOD news to report!! After many years of neglect the
CB&Q brick Depot in Oregon is finally getting some attention. After
several years of thinking about what to do with the depot that the city
of Oregon IL has owned for a number of years now, Bob Rees and myself
are putting togeather a grass roots group to restore this beautiful
depot to its original glory. Work offically began yesterday with an
inspection of the attic to detirmine the extent of water damage to the
roof vallys and get a game plan to stop the leaking until we can find
clay tile to match and make permenant repairs this next spring. Junk
around the depot was removed and sweeping was started on on the brick
station platforms was started. Demolition of the temporary offices that
were built inside the waiting room was started and will be complete in
another day or two. The womens restroom and the ticket agents area had
lowered ceilings that will also be demo'd to bring the inside back to
its original state.

After a good inspection of the entire building we have detirmined that
the overall condition of the building is really in very sound condition.
Some plaster work will need to be done to repair water damage and some
woodwork will replaced but overall the inside just needs a lot of
cleaning and paint and woodwork stripped and refinished. We have the
original light fixtures!! The ticket window is intact and I have the
glass window for the baggage door. We do need good photos of the
waiting room doors so new ones can be built to match the originals so if
anyone has good photos please get with me. We are also in need of
volunteers to help with many things like scraping and painting, cleaning
etc. so if you would like to get involved please contact myself or Bod
Rees.

Will keep the group updated on progress.

Jerry Stauffer
Mt. Morris, IL. 61054
815-734-6627
jerstauf@e...