Re: [BRHSlist] St. Louis to Burlington / Ottumwa IA trip

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] St. Louis to Burlington / Ottumwa IA trip
From: "John Lewis" <CBQJohn@m...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:10:40 -0700
Bcc:
What are the Q sights to see in terms of remaining stations,
roundhouses, etc.?

There is a freight house in Quincy Illinois near the hew highway bridge that still has the Q emblem on it. There are depots in Keokuk (boarded up), Fort Madison, and of course, Burlington. The shops in West Burlington are still there, as is the depot in Ottumwa. There are S4 Hudsons along the line as well (3001 in Ottumwa, 3003 in Burlington and the Santa Fe 2913 in Fort Madison).

What is the best time of day to see trains on this line and the Chicago-
Denver line in Burlington?

Not real sure on this one, maybe John Jacobs or Arch Hayden will respond.

I noticed a park south of Hannibal overlooking the river, Is it
possible to see trains from the bluff?

Called Lover's Leap, it can be reached via Highway 79 just south of Hannibal. You can see the ruins of the old Hannibal Yards from there.

Are there some bridges other than the bridges at Burlington and across
the Des Moines River south of Burlington?

Highway bridges are Louisiana, Hannibal, Quincy, Keokuk, Fort Madison and Burlington. The Q bridges are at Burlington and Quincy.

Are there any recommended special places for train watching in this
area?

West Quincy is a favorite haunt of mine, and I am a bit partial to the Burlington/West Burlington area.

Are there any museums that have Q information? What hours are they
open?

The Museum of Transport in St. Louis has the Silver Charger, several passenger cars, etc. They have a web site (not sure of the hours).

A side trip to Ottumwa is under consideration. Are there any Q sights
there or should I spend my Saturday and early Sunday in Burlington?

Go to Ottumwa to see the 3001, but I would spend my time in Burlington.

Thanks for any information and suggestions.

You are definitely welcome!

Regards,
John Lewis