Re: [BRHSlist] Window Glass

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Window Glass
From: "Harold S. Huber Jr." <sarge912@h...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:02:50 -0600
Ralph,
General makes a scriber that cuts the microscope cover glass, Berlyn
Locomotive works has one also, check at well stocked hobby shops they will
carry both the glass and the scriber, I also think Clover House has one.
PBL also had cover glass. Of late I have been going to Edmund Science to
buy the small stuff, but in the past I've bought 2"x3" from Builders in
Scale (nice for large store windows), 1"x3" at PBL and Berlyn Locomotive
Works,and Clover House, Edmund Science has about 1"x1". They come packaged
about 50 or more to a package. The learning curve in cutting (scribing &
breaking) the glass is long, but after a few tries it becomes second
knowledge. Here are some tips:

1. Scribe on a softer surface like cork or I use my self healing mat.
2. Scribe only once with firm pressure, but not so hard that it breaks the
cover glass.
3. If the inside is not going to be seen make the glass over size to allow
for easy glueing.
4. If scratch building windows use the cut glass to size then build up
window around it, this stabilizes the scratch built windows.
5. I use a machinist square as a scribing guide to insure that the glass is
squared up.
6. I always use 1/4" graph paper under the cover slip to be able to check
measurements.
7. Wear cheap white gloves to keep finger prints off the glass (it always
seems I break a prefectly cut piece while trying to clean it.
8. After scribing snap the glass with your fingers, holding on each side of
the scribe.
9. Save larger broken pieces as you may be able salvage it into smaller
windows.
10. Keep trying the knack of cutting cover slip glass will come with
practice.

Remember that you will break a few at first, keep at it the knack of cutting
glass will come with practice and as I said before once you use real glass
you will never go back to clear styrene, acetate, or any thing else.
Harold

Is there a method of cutting the