Re: [BRHSlist] Sunset S-4

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Sunset S-4
From: "Karl L Rethwisch" <karlre@r...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:57:47 -0600
One possible solution to a problem like this is to add side bearings. Side
bearings are the devices that control the yaw of a rail vehicle. In prototype
practice side bearings consist of caged rollers or Stuki Constant Contact
units. In either case the design is such that the bearing is attached to the
truck bolster just outboard of the center plate and a mating contact surface is
attached to the car end bolster. As the car yaws, or rolls to either side, the
contact surfaces of the bearing touch thereby limiting the degree of roll.

With light (by comparison) models it is possible to use flat, semi spring brass
or phosphor bronze bar stock to achieve nearly the same result as the real
thing. Attach the "spring" material to the truck bolster and adjust them to be
quite close to the car bolster when resting on a flat surface. Test the
tracking of the car (tender) a few times and make further adjustments as might
be needed. Do this to only one truck of a model as there is one critical
element missing, MASS.

Also, lowering the center of gravity of the car will add to its rolling
qualities.

Hope this helps.

Karl