Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Sections

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Sections
From: Wes Leatherock <wleath@s...>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:58:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Ed DeRouin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:32:36 -0500
> From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
> To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Sections
>
> This is really a trite point, but follow-on sections is not the proper term
> to use when discussing the operation of more than one consist using the same
> schedule on the same day. The term is section, and is defined in the 1967
> Consolidated Code as: One of two or more trains running on the same schedule
> displaying signals or for which signals are displayed.
>
> The signals are defined in Rule 20: All sections except the last must
> display two green lights on the front of the engine.

Earlier the rules provided for green flags by day and green
lights by night. This was in steam days and continued for quite
a while in the diesel era, but the rules were eventually changed
to provide for lights by day and by night.

> I believe the common term used to describe a section running behind a
> leading section is the following section. That is 2/24 is following 1/24.
>
> I know it is really minor, but.....
>
> Ed DeRouin

In train order days the usage, particular when train
orders were transmitted by telegraph or telephone, was "First
24," "Second 24," etc., with the ordinal number spelled out.
That is the usage given in "Rights of Trains."

Wes Leatherock
wleath@s...