Re: [BRHSlist] Follow-on Sections

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Follow-on Sections
From: Wes Leatherock <wleath@s...>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:34:34 -0500 (CDT)
You're basically correct in the reason for trains running
in more than one section, but the green flags or green lights
were displayed on the front of the engine were classification
lights ("class lights" or signals), not marker lights.

Marker lights were displayed at the end of the train. A
train without marker lights is not complete; in fact, under
the rules it is not a train.

The last section did not carry green signals. Green signals
meant one or more sections were following. Whistle signals were
prescribed to call the attention of trains being met or passed to
the green signals (following section) because the schedule was
not fulfilled until the last section passed. This whistle
signals was required to be acknowledged by a whistle signal
from the train being met or passed.

Multiple sections could also be used as a convenience
to provide a schedule for a business train, a troop train,
or other special movements.

White signals designated an extra train. Many railroads
ran all freight trains as extras.

Wes Leatherock
wleath@s...