Re: Red Lights

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Red Lights
From: "Dennis C. Henry" <dchenry@g...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:48:30 -0500
At 09:29 AM 5/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Having grown up alongside the CB&Q trackside in Riverside, IL
>(1937-1952-(1985) ,whether I really wished to, or not I was forced to
>observe daily, usually several times, the passage of each and every
>Zephyr, in addition to just about every other train. I never recall
>the red light on any of the Zephyr observations (ditto the EB and
>NCL) being on routinely, except just once; and that was when one of
>the wb trains was stopped (for what?) with the observation just
>clearing the DesPlaines Rd. crossing in downtown Riverside. At that
>time, the red light was on, and was oscillating.
>
>I do know that on other roads using red Mars or Gyralites, the common
>usage was only when there was a brake application. Whether only
>"emergency" or "routine", I do not know, but more probably the former.
>
>As an aside, to have the mighty Zephyr (probably the Denver ---) stop
>in Riverside was an absolute Revelation to me, and bicycle in hand, I
>stood there in awe. It was not there long, however. After whistling
>off (the head end probably out on the Des Plaines River bridge) the
>light went out, and the train glided away.
>
>Denny
>--
>Denny S. Anspach, MD
>Sacramento, CA
For what is worth, I saw the red oscillating light working on the tail-end
car (obs type and regular) of GN passenger trains (Red River, Western Star)
on their home rails in the 60's. I suspect that the rules on the Q were as
described above, even for the run-through cars.

Dennis Henry
Dennis C. Henry, Owner and General Manager
Brass Car Sides Phone: (507) 931-2784
715 South 7th St. e-mail: dchenry@g...
St. Peter, MN 56082-1435 v-mail: (507) 933-7314
<http://www.brasscarsides.com>http://www.brasscarsides.com
Passenger Car Parts for the Streamliners - Serving the Hobby Since 1978