Re: Red Lights

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Red Lights
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:29:20 -0700
Having grown up alongside the CB&Q trackside in Riverside, IL (1937-1952-(1985) ,whether I really wished to, or not I was forced to observe daily, usually several times, the passage of each and every Zephyr, in addition to just about every other train. I never recall the red light on any of the Zephyr observations (ditto the EB and NCL) being on routinely, except just once; and that was when one of the wb trains was stopped (for what?) with the observation just clearing the DesPlaines Rd. crossing in downtown Riverside. At that time, the red light was on, and was oscillating.

I do know that on other roads using red Mars or Gyralites, the common usage was only when there was a brake application. Whether only "emergency" or "routine", I do not know, but more probably the former.

As an aside, to have the mighty Zephyr (probably the Denver ---) stop in Riverside was an absolute Revelation to me, and bicycle in hand, I stood there in awe. It was not there long, however. After whistling off (the head end probably out on the Des Plaines River bridge) the light went out, and the train glided away.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA