Re: [BRHSlist] Dynamometer Cars/Weed Spraying Trains

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Dynamometer Cars/Weed Spraying Trains
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 22:17:36 EDT
I can't tell you anything about Dynamometer Cars, but a Weed Spray train of
the 1950's and probably 60's would have looked like this.

>From the head end. A spray car made from an old boxcar (The train I worked
on the Wymore Division in 1958 had one that was painted gray and owned by
Chipman). This car was open at the front end sort of like an open air lunch
counter across the front. There was a spray boom on each side and one across
the front of the car. Inside the car was whatever equipment it took to pump
the "Chemical" from the tank cars behind out through the spray booms. At the
front of the car standing in the "counter window" would be the spray
operators, the Roadmaster who told the operators when and where to spray and
the head brakeman who rode at the outside front to signal the engineer.
(This was pre radio).

Behind the spray car would be at least 8 tank cars containing the "Chemical".
The reason I say at least is that at that time the Engineer's Union required
that there be at least 8 cars separating the spray car and the engine. This
was a holdover from the days when the Chemical was known as "Poison Weed
Killer" and was quite toxic. Anybody remember when railroads would have to
post signs on the ROW showing that the weeds had been sprayed and that the
spray was deadly to livestock. By the 1950's the Chemical was no longer
hazardous, but of course, the agreement hadn't been changed to reflect that.

Behind the tank cars of Chemical was the engine (usually a GP something) and
behind that engine came the waycar.

I saw a picture in a not too old Railroad Magazine which I have in my
collection showing a photo of a train (don't remember the railroad) made up
exactly as I have outlined. When I run across it again I'll note it and if
interest is still there I can send a photocopy or make a reference and those
interested can look it up.

Pete Hedgpeth