Re: [BRHSlist] ART reefers

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] ART reefers
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:07:27 -0500
> On another matter, can anyone give me an idea when American Refrigerator
> Transit (ART) adopted the two-herald (MoPac - Wabash) scheme for their
> reefers. I understand that early on there was simply a union shield and
that
> the double herald was a later development. Also can anyone elaborate on
the
> development of the double herald scheme. Some of the cars seem to have
> rather smallish heralds, while others seem to be more pleasingly
> proportionate.

Railway Prototype Cyclopedia volume 2 has an article dealing with 1936 ART
steel reefers. The two-herald version of the paint scheme was introduced
with the 1951 rebuild program for these cars. None of the photos in the
article show any difference in herald sizes. You *may* be seeing an optical
illusion . . . on the left-hand side of the car, the Wabash flag is toward
the door while the MoPac buzz-saw is toward the end; on the right hand side
of the car, this is reversed. The buzz-saw seems a bit smaller when it is
framed by the end ladder than when it is near the center of the car side.

Marshall