LaBelle quitting; ART reefers

To: "BRHS group" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: LaBelle quitting; ART reefers
From: "John A. Swearingen" <jas@s...>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 10:22:18 -0500
Many of you may not know but longtime model railroad manufacturer
LaBelle Woodworking is planning to become a fallen flag on June 1.

The enterprise is looking for a buyer, absent which they will simply shut
down. Details can be found at their WebSite.

This is very sad news for those of us who have enjoyed their fine wooden
kits over the years. I, for one, personally lament the disappearance of the
once-common wooden kits from the market. I have always preferred to work in
that medium. Not only did I like the feel of the work in my hands, but also
I appreciated not having to use toxic solvents to join pieces.

On another matter, can anyone give me an idea when American Refrigerator
Transit (ART) adopted the two-herald (MoPac - Wabash) scheme for their
reefers. I understand that early on there was simply a union shield and that
the double herald was a later development. Also can anyone elaborate on the
development of the double herald scheme. Some of the cars seem to have
rather smallish heralds, while others seem to be more pleasingly
proportionate.