Waycar on the ground

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Waycar on the ground
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:45:03 EDT
Trump is a card playing term used to describe the power suite in certain
games. On the railroad that means Eucher(sp?),clubs or as it was
affectionately called "puppy toes" etc. Trump also referred to a certain
brkmn w/that nickname. I worked w/Trump for several months on the Earlville
Turn(he being the senior brkmn got to ride the w/c). Each night we would
double our train together using the mainline(#1) to make the move. Once
doubled over we would call for the ok to go East from where we were and Trump
would wait at the derail on either what we called the "main"(runaround next
to the main or the "fence" depending on how the double was made. As the rear
wheels of the w/c cleared the derail he would flip it back on,lock it and
catch up to the rear step,ride to the mainline switch and line & lock it
after the rear wheels cleared. A big pinwheel highball meant everything lined
and locked w/Eola next.This was the normal routine.
One night Cat held us especially late and we were really hustling to get the
loads switched out,mtys respotted and the train doubled together before we
went "dead" on the hog law. Not wanting to spend an extra hour riding a cab
to Eola we put it in super overdrive and decided to make it into the yard at
Eola. As the w/c passed over the derail old Trump flipped the derail and
locked it.He then realized his mistake when the rear step approached instead
of him having to chase after it. Clunk,clunk went the rear wheels and a big
old washout followed(everbody who attended the hand sign clinic can picture
that).
Now Jerry and I were 30-35 cars away but it did seem we stopped a little
short of the normal spot and Jerry said Trump flagged with a washout? Next
sign was to take 'em ahead,then a big old pinwheels backwards. At this point
Shoe says the w/c's on the ground.I replied how can you tell in the
dark.Jerry says just wait and see. Sure enough we shove the train down the
mainline;cut off and Trump ties us onto the w/c which has the west truck on
the ground.Now Old Grinder has from some secret stash found blocking which
has been tucked under the sideframes and we proceed to attempt to rerail the
w/c using old rotten blocking and laterns. No luck and time is just about
out. Tie back onto the train and head for Eola. As we clear the plant at
Montgomery a call is made to the Ds "Earlville Turn just checking to see if
track block is ok at Cat and we didn't leave a light on?(means did we forget
to close something) but in this case it really means did the w/c wheels cut
up wiring and leave a circuit open?(for which we'd better own right now). The
reply came back all clear,why? Oh nothing special.
Now next morning the Eola rip track truck met us at the derail and between
their air jacks,blocks and the engine we got our rolling office back in
service.
Leo