Oregon, Ill., narrow gauge

To: jerstauf@e..., BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Oregon, Ill., narrow gauge
From: WPDiven@a...
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:55:18 EDT
Greetings list:

re the temporary narrow-gauge line at Oregon, Ill., during construction of
state Highway 2:

I asked my mother about this, and her memories from 1925 are below. The
viaduct she refers to is the Hwy. 2 bridge over the C&I/CB&Q tracks at west
Oregon. The viaduct lines up with 7th St. while the narrow-gauge ran on 6th
St. on a line from west of the Q freight house north the length of the town
to the county fairgrounds. The depot is at the end of 4th St.

Her description of tracks two feet or less would be consistent with the 23
5/8-inch gauge (60cm) mentioned in previous posts. Could be the industrial
equipment mentioned or war surplus since the American Expeditionary Force
Department of Light Railways and Roads used 60cm steamers and gasoline cabs
to get materiel to the front in France.

Still doesn't answer the question of whether a similar temporary line ran
south from the Oregon yard. Maybe someone with time and access to Oregon
newspapers on microfilm could find out.

Regards,

Bill Diven

Dear Bill,

These are memories of a 5 year old! I have some vivid memories around the
track being there, but not much in the way of details that I know to be
correct. The tracks were narrow, 18 inches to 2 feet. They ran from the
viaduct area to the fairgrounds. The viaduct was built a this time.
(1924-25). The cars as I see them in my mind were around 6 feet long. Don't
remember the engine, but it couldn't have been very big.

We went to Columbus, Ohio, ... while the house was being redecorated. When
we returned the track was in front of the house. The house wasn't finished
so we stayed with Grandma and Grandpa Gale at the Fourth Street house for a
few days. It was late spring and thawing and messy outside. ... That made
me 5 years old and the year l925. I believe the train carried sand and
gravel for concrete for the highway north of town. Think it was there til
fall, but that is a guess.