Compartment Tanks

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Compartment Tanks
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:42:56 EDT
Recently I answered a query on compartment tanks.Here's a little more info.
that I stumbled on in the last few days.I found correspondence dated 1956 in
the UTLX files talking about taking 3 compartment cars from storage and
scrapping the cars out and reclaiming the trucks for new car use. Here's the
neat part; the trucks were 40 and 50 ton capacity,yes 40 ton.The cars were
6,500; 7,000 and 8,000 gallons 3 compartment cars. There was also a
discussion of cutting out the internal "heads" and making the cars one
compartment which would add 500 gallon capacity. So you can see that even in
1956 compartment cars were a dying bread.
Leo