concrete bridges Files; BREX

To: "BRHS group" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: concrete bridges Files; BREX
From: "John A. Swearingen" <jas@s...>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:19:12 -0500
Several weeks ago I inquired of the list about the very unique and
distinctive concrete bridges found just west of Chillicothe, Missouri on the
old C.B.&Q. line to St. Joseph where it crossed the Grand River flood plain.
There were several pretty nice responses to that inquiry, especially the
very informative one by Glen Haug.

I have posted to the Files section (I finally figured out how to do that)
four photographs of those bridges. I think some of you will find them very
interesting, not only from a historical standpoint but also for the modeling
possibilities presented. It strikes me that this would be a great way to
moderately elevate some trackage -- always a challenge when modeling a
midwestern railroad.

Note: in the very long sequence of spans some of the bents are composed of
individual pilings, and some are almost squared-off monoliths. About this
latter, look carefully and you can see that some of them are slightly
thicker than the others.

Was there any other place on the C.B.&Q. which had so many of these in such
a short distance?

On another matter, I know that the C.B.&Q. operated its own fleet of
refrigerator cars. My question is: did the C.B.&Q. ever join with another
railroad in a refrigerator car operation, such as was done with American
Refrigerator Transit (Wabash and Missouri Pacific), and Pacific Fruit
Express
(Southern Pacific and Union Pacific -- with some Western Pacific)?