Re: [BRHSlist] Wood Bros., was Oregon Wye

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Wood Bros., was Oregon Wye
From: Steven Holding <hold-on@s...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:26:52 -0500
List
Also check "Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land" as a lot of surplus 60 cm
equiptment was sold or given to the states for road construction. Due to no
ready mix trucks and very light dump trucks narrow gauge railroads were used
to move the material over light trestles for bridges and along the sides of
roads where paving was being laid. Route 66 in Illinois was an early narrow
gauge paving job. The Interurban and Steam Roads hauled the materal to a
siding where it was transloaded into the narrow gauge. Engineering News
Record has a lot of neat construction articles of the late teens and up
until WWII.
SJH