Tractor plants

To: RITSlist <ritslist@s...>, brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Tractor plants
From: jeff worones <jworones@y...>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:59:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all;

Looking for some assistance in creating an industrial
track plan for a tractor plant, such as John Deere or
CaseIH.
Any one know of plant photos on the web?

What type of raw materials/freight cars would be
inbound?
Coil steel cars for sheet steel rolls?
Gondolas for steel/aluminum billets?
'Auto parts' type (60'+) box cars for engines and
other large components produced off site?
Flat cars for tires?
Tank cars for machine oils, paints, or fuel?

>From seeing the John Deere plant in Moline IL., I know
they have a foundry for forgings and castings. That
would require a boiler house to create
electricity/steam. Would hopper cars of coal be
appropriate?

I'm assuming they operate similar to an auto
production line. Raw materials are formed into parts
and then staged along an assembly line to be attached
at the appropriate times.

During that visit to Moline, I was able to get great
shots of the assembled equipment staging areas. Mostly
60' flat cars.
Any other outbound loads? Gondolas of scrap? Tank cars
of waste liquids?

I'd be interested in hearing about operations from all
eras and from different plants around the country.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff Worones
Las Vegas, NV