Re: [BRHSlist] NYC Sleepers on the California Zephyr

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] NYC Sleepers on the California Zephyr
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 20:28:08 EDT
In a message dated 4/9/01 8:30:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time, glenehaug@m...
writes:

> I saw a picture in "The Domeliners" by Patrick Dorin that shows the
> California Zephyr at Bond, Colorado. Just ahead of the Vista-dome
> Observation is an NYC sleeper, but not enough of the car is showing to
> determine which car it is. It has "New York Central" in small
> letters in the letterboard next to the end door, so it may be

Glen,

It is interesting that you have pointed this out. Hubert Hanrahan and I had
this same discussion about 2 months ago by email. I'm assuming you know that
this assignment was a shared, every other day assignment alternating with the
Pennsy. While the Pennsy bought a Budd 10-6 (Silver Rapids) lettered for the
California Zephyr, the NYC did not. It was my understanding, like yours that
the NYC discharged its obligation through leasing. I was also told (though I
am not positive) that the NYC did not send it's own 10-6 sleepers through on
the CZ service past CUS. This seems to be supported by my PRRT&HS Passenger
Painting and Lettering book. The book states: "Six other Silver series 10-6
sleepers protected the service. They were easily interchanged between the
Burlington and PRR because both shared the south side of Chicago Union
Station. This transcontinental line alternated between the Pennsylvania and
the New York Central on the New York to Chicago portion of its run; therefore
the Silver Rapids was occasionally seen in Grand Central Terminal. PRR
withdrew from this service after the last runs of October 26, 1957".

I agree with you the car in the picture was probably lettered "Pullman" on
the letterboard. But why the CZ-15 in the window? CZ-15 was the regular
Chicago to San Francisco 10-6 sleeper. Hubert's and my guess was that the
regular 10-6 was out of service and the Q borrowed one from the NYC as a
stand-in. The NYC did have some other transcontinental runs and may have had
a 10-6 that was available for stand-in. Any other guesses?

Rich