Re: [BRHSlist] era of train control box and mars light on 4-6-4's

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] era of train control box and mars light on 4-6-4's
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:37:32 -0500
From: <arnold299@a...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2001 5:10 PM

> Hi Listers,
> Can anyone tell me when the 4-6-4's had the Mars lights installed and when
> they were removed? Also the same for the train control box. I am about to
> paint a Sunset 4-6-4 and could not find any pictures with just the train
> control box installed as the Sunset has. Did they ever run with just the
> train control box?

A quick scan through Burlington Bulletin #33 (which you need to borrow or
buy - available through BRHS - see www.burlingtonroute.com) seemed to
confirm my recollection that such a configuration would have been rare and
short-lived. Not all S-4s got train control boxes, but I believe all got
Mars lights - and went to the scraplines with them. If you need to add the
Mars light, CalScale has the correct light and bracket castings (#263).
When train control boxes were installed, a second turbogenerator was also
added to power it.

As for the installation date, it looks to have been around 1950 and
thereafter, for both.

Marshall