Old time box cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Old time box cars
From: richtownsend@n...
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 12:30:13 -0400
For what it's worth, Bachmann makes a 34' box car. Here's what John Nehrich
says about it on the NEB&W website
(http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/index.html)
:
72300 Series Thirty-Four Foot OT Box Car - Only plastic model of a 34 foot box
car. While somewhat crude in some details (like the truss rods, door tracks,
brake staff and brake wheel, and trucks), it isn't that impossible to redetail
it. The 34 foot box car, not the 36 foot car, was probably the standard 1900
car. As cars grew to 36 feet in that first decade, the fishbelly center sill
replaced the truss-rod underframe, so the Bachmann car unmodified (not
un-redetailed, just unmodified), I think, would have wider use than the MDC
car. (The MDC car would run a close second, but still, I think the Bachmann car
is a real sleeper.
Unfortunately, Bachmann offers this model in two paint schemes - two rather
hideous bright toy-like schemes.
 72301 Union Pacific Box Car - I think this is a bright red, way too
gaudy for the somber colors that freight cars were painted in the last century.
(The engines might be colorful, but the technology of paint kept most freight
cars pretty drab.)
 72324 Central Pacific Box Car - Bright pool table green with
yellow-orange door and door tracks.

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/