Re: [BRHSlist] Old-Time box cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Old-Time box cars
From: Ken martin <kmartin@c...>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:20:23 -0800
John A. Swearingen wrote:

> The Roundhouse line of old-time 36? boxcars has the brake wheel atop a
> vertical shaft on the end of the car. However, as designed it only extends
> about 12-18? above the roofwalk. Is this accurate for that period? I have
> never seen one that short, but am not real familiar with the era of the
> 1890s. Will anyone tell us how far the brake wheel should be above the
> roofwalk for that era boxcar? Of course, it is easily corrected if the
> 12-18? is not accurate. Just need to know.

I can't speak specifically for the 1890's but a review of the CB&Q 1930 folio
book starting with the XM-7 shows a height of 10-12 inches above the running
board. Not until the XM-19 do you get a height of 22 inches. These are all 40'
cars.

Incidentally the CB&Q did not have 36" cars. The 1910 Equipment Register shows
28', 34' and 40' cars. Drawings of the CB&Q 28 foot and 34 foot cars are in
White's "The American Railroad Freight Car". For tips on modifying the Tyco
1860 28' car see the April '99 MR.

Ken Martin