Re: [BRHSlist] Electrification of the CB&Q

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Electrification of the CB&Q
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:12:09 -0600
on 3/28/01 1:46 AM, hold-on@s... at hold-on@s... wrote:

> Public Funding??? The Aurora Elevation and the Chicago Elevations both were
> done
> by the Railroad with little out side contractors and both done under traffic.
> Gary can you image running a train from the elevation to the ground level at
> Benton St before the rest was done??

Steve:

I never said the Chicago or Aurora elevations used public funds. The post
WWII era introduced a new philosophy. The Q obviously chose to not allocate
its funds to build the Berwyn to Downers Grove elevation. My statement led
to the current state of thought in which large projects with public benefit
are funded with public money. My statement was intended to mean that in 1949
this country had not adopted the concept of public funding.

The current issue in the Chicago area is the rebuilding of Soldiers Field
for the Bears with public funds. It seems industry has learned to use our
money first......

Ed DeRouin