Re: [BRHSlist] Electrification of the CB&Q

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Electrification of the CB&Q
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 17:46:59 -0600
> I understand that their was a plan and mandate to electrify all suburban
> railroads running out of Chicago in the 1920s. The Illinois Central did
> electrify. I guess the depression and diesels killed the idea for the other
> commuter lines. Was their ever a master plan for the electrification of the
> Burlington suburban service?

Jack:

I do not know if the CB&Q had a plan to electrify the suburban territory,
but the Chicago Plan Commission had a plan to electrify all railroads in
Chicago ala New York City. The Commission issued its report, a hard bound,
several-hundred page book with photos and maps in 1915. It also recommended
passenger station consolidations in 1913, 1933 and 1953, but this also had
no effect.

Ed DeRouin