Re: CB&Q VO-1000's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: CB&Q VO-1000's
From: jeralbin@a...
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:36:01 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., jsauer@e... wrote:
> Rich,
>
> I noticed in the photos that the VO1000's had some kind of box on
the
> hood just in front of the cab. Do you know what these were and
> whether there is a part available to duplicate?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Sauer

The box and a motor-generator set (MG set, which looks like a steam
generator on a steam locomotive) are part of the radio equipment on
the VO1000. A Cal-Scale train control box is a good stand in. You can
make the MG set with a plastic or brass rod with a small rectangular
box attached on the side. Put a small eye bolt or lift ring on top
and
centered on the rod. The MG set should sit on an angle iron base. You
also need conduit between the MG set and "radio" box and either a
wagon wheel or firecracker antenna. I believe the MG set is also
available from a lost-wax detail parts company whose name I cannot
remember.

Jerry Albin