Re: CB&Q VO-1000's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: CB&Q VO-1000's
From: jsauer@e...
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:07:41 -0000
Well, I am at the office and my new Q VO 1000 is at home. But I got
#9353 and I am pretty sure it is the step guard version From the
photos in my color books, looks like 9353 had the 4 tall stacks, so
mine will too.

Engine runs nice and looks great. Will need a little weathering
before she starts working. But a very nice model. Even the cab
interior is in that typical green color.

John Sauer
Q Fan in exile on Long Island (NY)

--- In BRHSlist@y..., jeralbin@a... wrote:
> --- In BRHSlist@y..., rgortowski@a... wrote:
> > Greg,
> >
> > The Q had 30 VO1000's which were delivered in '43 and '44. In
1950
> (the year
> > I model) there were 13 in the Chicago Division, 13 in the St.
> Joseph
> > Division, and 4 in the Galesburg Division (assigned to the
Ottumwa
> > sub-division). The saw a lot of action at Chicago Union Station
and
> at Kansas
> > City. I'm sure others can fill in. They lasted until the mid
> '60's.
> >
> > The Q's first 8 had the "step guard" which was the two curved
sheet
> metal
> > areas by the cab. The other 22 did not. It seems (to the best
of
> my
> > knowledge) in 1950, none of the Chicago units had the 4 stack
> arrangement.
> > They all had one stack. The four stacks were used on the KC
units.
> Later
> > on, some of the 4 stackers did show up in Chicago. Both of the
Q's