Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q VO-1000's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q VO-1000's
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:20:44 EST
Greg,

The Q had 30 VO1000's which were delivered in '43 and '44. In 1950 (the year
I model) there were 13 in the Chicago Division, 13 in the St. Joseph
Division, and 4 in the Galesburg Division (assigned to the Ottumwa
sub-division). The saw a lot of action at Chicago Union Station and at Kansas
City. I'm sure others can fill in. They lasted until the mid '60's.

The Q's first 8 had the "step guard" which was the two curved sheet metal
areas by the cab. The other 22 did not. It seems (to the best of my
knowledge) in 1950, none of the Chicago units had the 4 stack arrangement.
They all had one stack. The four stacks were used on the KC units. Later
on, some of the 4 stackers did show up in Chicago. Both of the Q's versions
are available from Stewart (though there is some question if the "step guard"
version is available in Q paint -- you may have to buy an undecorated).

Both the Spoor books and the Holck books cover this class very well.

Rich Gortowski