Ex-GB&W track in LaCrosse

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Ex-GB&W track in LaCrosse
From: "Mark Mathu" <mark@m...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:49:20 -0000
The Green Bay & Western operated a 6.5-mile branch line from Onalaska
to LaCrosse, Wisconsin. The last GB&W train operated on the branch
on October 26, 1922. At that time the CB&Q began leasing 2.65 miles
of the branch for $1.00 per year. In July 1936 the branch was sold
outright to the CB&Q for $27,000.

Can anyone tell me what the final disposition of that portion of
track was? I don't think it lasted until the 1970 BN merger. I'd be
interested in knowing the date that it was abandoned, or if it was
sold off to another railroad. After purchasing the branch, did the
CB&Q use and maintain only the 2.65 miles it had previously leased?

Thanks,
Mark