Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Chinese Red?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Chinese Red?
From: Joseph O Antosiak <ColoradoSouthern@j...>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:24:54 -0500

On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 17:35:18 -0000 haywarb@b... writes:
> The color name "Chinese red" is interesting for the 1958-59 period
> during which it was rolled out since the US was deep into the Cold
> War
> mentality. One popular phrase among the hawks was "better dead
> than
> red". I'm glad they stuck to the Chinese red description, rather
> than change it for political correctness. Like all of us BRHS
> members, I think the Q's Chinese red is a fine color.

Well, please don't speak for "_all_ of us"! I'll grant that the Q may
have needed an image makeover in the late 1950's, but I was perfectly
happy with Grey, Black, and Boxcar Red on freight trains, thank you very
much. ;) I was really disappointed when the Q went to the Chinese Red
with billboard "Burlington" (upper-and-lower-case lettering, too
--ugghh!). Even at age 10, I was a curmudgeon! ;)

Cheers,
--JoeA.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.