Re: Chineese Red?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Chineese Red?
From: haywarb@b...
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 17:35:18 -0000
The color name "Chinese red" is interesting for the 1958-59 period
during which it was rolled out since the US was deep into the Cold War
mentality. One popular phrase among the hawks was "better dead than
red". I'm glad they stuck to the Chinese red description, rather
than change it for political correctness. Like all of us BRHS
members, I think the Q's Chinese red is a fine color.

--- In BRHSlist@y..., arnold299@a... wrote:
> Marshall,
> Some of the old Q-timers here in Lincoln told me that the color
change was to
> rid them of the era with steam. To make them appear to be a modern
railroad.
> The black diesels had been painted so to blend in with the old
steam. They
> never could answer why the F units were not black to begin with.
Don't know