RE: [BRHSlist] Bloomer Line

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Bloomer Line
From: mmatalis@s...
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:56:39 -0600
I'm pretty certain that I'm the one that mentioned the Bloomer Line, I'd
fanned it one day and posted it to the BRHS list in case anyone needed a red
and gray fix.

The Bloomer Line got it start operating over former IC track from Colfax to
Kempton IL. This was part of the IC's old Bloomington line which had the
nickname of "The Bloomer." At that time they operated out of Chatsworth IL
using a geep and a switcher type engine. The line later expanded when they
picked up the NS's former Wabash line between Strawn (which was the crossing
between the IC and NS lines) and Gibson City IL. They moved their base of
operations to Gibson City, sold off the switcher to a local elevator, and
bought another geep.

Operations are as needed, which can mean a variety of things. The time that
I caught it running (October of '99) the crew told me that they had been
running every day for several weeks, but that was at the height of the grain
season. Usually operations revolve around when the grain company that owns
the railroad and on-line elevators makes a sale. The Bloomer then collects
enough cars for a grain train from the NS, frantically delivers them to the
elevators, and then tries to get them back to the NS ASAP. Speed limits (as
of 10/99) on the line were 20 mph for the former IC trackage, and 30 for the
ex-NS line. I doubt that its been raised since they really don't have a
great need for speed.

Best bet for catching them running is to head for Gibson City and check out
the engine house. If its all locked up, and no cars around, you are out of
luck. If its all locked up, but cars or pickups (I call them SUV's with a
purpose) are parked outside, you then get to play "find the train." That's
what I had to do.

If you do catch them running, it certainly is a blast from the past.

Mike Matalis
Downers Grove, IL
mmatalis@s...