E Unit Safety Appliances

To: BRHSlist <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: E Unit Safety Appliances
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:24:12 -0600
Listers:

I pulled CB&Q Drawing 14471 from my files while looking into another issue
and thought the modelers might like to know the dates of issue this drawing.
As you may know, the E units, and F units were delivered without any
convenient means for crew members to clean windshields or adjust wipers. As
a result hand holds and an angle iron step were applied. Since the fireman
was the likely person nominated to do the tasks, the angle iron was attached
on that side of the locomotive.

The date of issue of this drawing is August 10, 1954. This drawing also
shows placement of the hand holds over the cab roof (E units only) and on
the carbody roof near the water fills near the center of the locomotive.

You know what this means, Rich?

Ed DeRouin