Re: [BRHSlist] CBQ Bi-Levels

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CBQ Bi-Levels
From: "Dennis C. Henry" <dchenry@g...>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:24:39 -0600
Fellow Q fans,

During the third week of July, 1996, in response to an enormous increase in
national rail traffic during the several airline strikes, I saw and
photographed the Budd bi-levels arrive St. Paul on No. 47
(Blackhawk-Western Star-Mainstreeter), and return within the hour on the
tail end of No. 22, the eastbound Morning Zephyr, right behind the ex-KCZ
parlor-obs. I later wondered if the speed restrictions imposed by the
presence of those cars in the consist were adhered to, since that would
have made it almost impossible to make the schedule. My Minnesota Railroad
Memories 1964-71 video tape covers this activity. Contact me off list, or
see website below for summary.

Dennis

At 04:14 AM 1/14/01 -0500, you wrote:
>(edited)
>
>John,
>
>They sometimes made it into service on other trains, although I have never
>seen pictures but I have been told the Bi Levels were pressed into service on
>Zephyrs during holidays when traffic was very heavy. Remember I have not
>seen photos of this...
>
>The Bi Levels also were used in special train service such as many of the
>Burlington Steam Specials. As a kid I remember seeing 2 E9's and 10 of the Bi
>Levels and a power car heading up the Batavia Branch to Mooseheart. It was
>probably in 1965 or 66. I was at the Aurora West Side Pool's parking lot when
>I saw the train.
>
>Recently the Bi Levels have been used during Galesburg IL's Railroad Days for
>the tour of the yard.....of course this is under Metra. How I miss the gons
>with the benches!
>
>Loren Johnson

Dennis C. Henry, Owner and General Manager
Brass Car Sides Phone: (507) 931-2784
715 South 7th St. e-mail: dchenry@g...
St. Peter, MN 56082-1435 v-mail: (507) 933-7314
<http://www.brasscarsides.com>http://www.brasscarsides.com
Passenger Car Parts for the Streamliners - Serving the Hobby Since 1978