For the record, SC19

To: BRHS <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: For the record, SC19
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:18:43 -0600
Just wanted to put this down for the record.

During the summer months in the 1960's, the Denver Zephyr ran 2
slumbercoaches (they had been run year round earlier, but declining
off-season patronage resulted in only one being run other than during
the summer or peak holidays).

The year round slumbercoach ran Chicago-Denver-Colorado Springs and, by
1962, had acquired the number SC12. It ran ahead of the diner and
Colorado Spring Pullman (DZ10) but behind the Colorado Springs dome
coach (DZ14).

The seasonal slumbercoach was SC19 and it had always, since the
inception of the 1956 train, run ahead of the Colorado Springs section
with the coaches.

In June of 1965 (1 week after the Denver and Eastern Colorado flood), my
brother and I rode SC19 (the car was the Silver Repose that trip) to
Chicago on #10. On returning to Denver in August of 1965, we found SC19
behind the diner with the sleepers, but still carrying its number. The
porter told us it had been moved into that position earlier in the
summer, but obviously after our June trip. We rode this car back to
Denver (the car was the Silver Siesta this trip).

By the winter 1965-1966 timetable change, the car was redesignated SC7
and would retain that number until the summer 1967 timetable change,
when the train was rearranged to reflect no more cars to Colorado
Springs, with the diner being moved ahead to behind the Chuckwagon, the
former Colorado Springs sleeper being moved to directly behind the
diner, retaining its number DZ10, the Colorado Springs dome coach being
moved back into its original position with the rest of the coaches,
leaving the former SC12 slumbercoach next to SC7. At this point SC12
was renumbered SC9 and SC7 to SC8.

sjl