Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Northern Southern Illinois Coal Trains

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Northern Southern Illinois Coal Trains
From: "Tom Barrett" <barrett@g...>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:14:36 -0600
From: <iselinshop@u...>
To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2000 5:57 AM

> Does anyone have information concerning a Burlington Northern coal
> train that occasionally originated from the Captain Mine at Percy, IL
> in the early to mid-1970's?
>
> Percy was located in Southern Illinois on the Sparta District of the
> St. Louis Division of the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad formerly the
> Gulf, Mobile & Ohio.
>
> I have been told that this train was destined for the Union Electric
> plant near Machens, MO. It would depart Percy and head north on the
> ICG's Sparta District to Venice, IL. From there I believe it
> continued north to Wood River and then Alton where a connection was
> made with the BN.
>
> Equipment was 3 SD7's or SD9's and silver or aluminum hoppers. Are
> these former Q hoppers?
>
> What sort of articles are out there concerning CB&Q/BN coal
> operations. I am aware of the Motive Power Survey 1970 BN Annual
> that briefly covered coal operations. I am also aware of the
> Southern Illinois coal issue that the BRHS did not too long ago. Is
> the BRHS issue still available? What number was it and how much is
> it? How do I go about acquiring it? Did the BRHS produce any other
> articles or data sheets concerning coal trains or equipment,
> particularly the aluminum hoppers?
>
> I thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> John P. Kohlberg
>

> I was conversing via email with another member of the BRHS and I
think he told me that some of these books are still available, it is quite a
work of art, it is a very detailed account of all coal operations on the
Southern Illinois district, along with car hauling services with other
railroads and the equipment they used, it is one of the best books I have
read on the subject of the CB&Q, you might send an email direct to the BRHS
on there web site if don't get any replies on subject but someone can
probaly help you, however it deals mostly with the Q, its called " THE Q
IN THE COAL FIELDS ", you might try the BNSF website and explain what you
want to know about the coal equipment, sometime they can help you.