Burlington Northern Southern Illinois Coal Trains

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Burlington Northern Southern Illinois Coal Trains
From: iselinshop@u...
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:57:12 -0000
Does anyone have information concerning a Burlington Northern coal
train that occasionally originated from the Captain Mine at Percy, IL
in the early to mid-1970's?

Percy was located in Southern Illinois on the Sparta District of the
St. Louis Division of the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad formerly the
Gulf, Mobile & Ohio.

I have been told that this train was destined for the Union Electric
plant near Machens, MO. It would depart Percy and head north on the
ICG's Sparta District to Venice, IL. From there I believe it
continued north to Wood River and then Alton where a connection was
made with the BN.

Equipment was 3 SD7's or SD9's and silver or aluminum hoppers. Are
these former Q hoppers?

What sort of articles are out there concerning CB&Q/BN coal
operations. I am aware of the Motive Power Survey 1970 BN Annual
that briefly covered coal operations. I am also aware of the
Southern Illinois coal issue that the BRHS did not too long ago. Is
the BRHS issue still available? What number was it and how much is
it? How do I go about acquiring it? Did the BRHS produce any other
articles or data sheets concerning coal trains or equipment,
particularly the aluminum hoppers?

I thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Best regards,

John P. Kohlberg