Re: [BRHSlist] Shop Goat 302

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Shop Goat 302
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 07:04:52 -0600
From: <rgortowski@a...>
To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2000 3:15 PM
Subject: [BRHSlist] Shop Goat 302

> Ken,
>
> Thanks for the tip on the Corbin book. New mystery, though. The roster
said
> that G3 1413 was converted to 302 in 3/31 and it was retired in 10/35. I
> have a roster that shows it was the shop engine for the Chicago Division
in
> 1950. Was the Corbin book date a typo? It sure would seem that they
would
> not retire this engine 4 years after converting it.

I can't help thinking it was a typo - 1953 vs 1935 . . .

> What role would 302 have played as the shop engine of the Chicago
Division?
> I would assume that it would hostle steam engines at the Clyde roundhouse.
> Can anyone think of a reason it would be forced to come down to Union
> Station? (pleeeaaase!) Any reasonable explanations will be accepted!

I wouldn't *know* - but shop engine 312 assigned to West Burlington made two
trips a day to Burlington to pick up & drop off shop crew . . . . so you
might be able to fake that for CUS to Clyde . . .

<snip>

> Also, anyone have a starting point for making a reasonable 302? It was an
> 0-6-0. I seem to remember someone bringing one to an Annual Meet model
> contest. I will have to look through the model contest photo flyers.

I recall thinking about a G-3 project lo these many years ago, and thinking
that a Mantua Little Six had a similar wheelbase - and that would give you a
mechanism arranged to run without tender -

Marshall