East End Speed Limits

To: BRHSlist <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: East End Speed Limits
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:25:49 -0600
Listers:

I pulled three timetable from the drawer to explore this subject. All I am
describing is limits set forth in the Special Instruction, not actual
practices. As I mentioned in previous posts, and Karl has supported with
first person testimony, the reality did not always match the letter.

>From Chicago & Aurora Div. TT # 95 dated 9-25-38:

Chicago and Aurora Subdivision
Maximum Speed Passenger, Mail & Express Trains 65
" " Freight Trains 50
" " " " with O-5 eng. 55

These limits do not apply to Zephyrs. Read on.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS GOVERNING THE MAXIMUM SPEEDS OF ZEPHYR TYPE MOTOR
TRAINS.

Distinctive road way signals have been adopted to indicate maximum speeds of
Zephyr type motor train.

A triangle type signal with reflex letter Z theron indicates zone territory
where the maximum speed is indicated by the numerals theron, and will govern
until the next zone is reached.

Where speed restrictions are required on curves within a zone, a banjo type
signal with reflex letter C an numerals thereon will indicate maximum
permissible speed for that particular curve, after which zone speed may be
resumed.

The triangle and banjo type signals will be located approximately 4000 feet
from the point of curve, or point where zone speed changes, unless otherwise
specified.

My note: These were the cast concrete posts located along the ROW.

More TT quotes:

Speed restrictions for Zephyr type motor trains are as follows:

BETWEEN CHICAGO AND AURORA

Westward Condition M.P. Eastward
30 Zone 0.85 ....
30 Curve 1.18 30
30 Curve 1.38 30
60 Zone 1.50 30
90 Zone 4.00 60
70 Zone 36.00 90

Track 3 was limited to 70 mph.

My notes : Read the westward column down and the eastward column up. 90 mph
through the middle of old Hawthorne Yard must have been a trip!

Lets look at TT 23 dated June 15, 1947. This was only months after the
Naperville accident, too soon for any change.

Passenger trains are graded A B or C.

A. Trains 1,10, 21, 22, 23, 24, 44, 49 consisting of all lightweight cars
hauled by diesel. My note: 1 &10 Denver Z., 21 + Twin City Z., 44 & 49
Empire builder

B. Trains handled by diesel having one or more standard cars, or handled by
O-5-A, S-4 or S-4-A engines.
Note 1: Class A trains handled by automatic brake rather than electric
straight air.
Note 2: Class A trains handled by S-1-A or
S-2-A engines.

C. All other passenger trains including solid express trains including
equipment authorized for handling in passenger trains.

The A trains were limited to 90, B to 80, and C to 75 on the high speed
segments between Chicago and Aurora. Track 3 was still a 70 mph track.

I should point out that the maximum authorized between Aurora and Galesburg
at this time and in 1938 was 90 mph.

It is now, 1953 and the ICC has imposed new signal and speed rules. From TT
37 dated 2-1-53, the inugural date of the KCZ, ARZ and AZBZ's.

Class A and B trains are limited to 75 mph on the fast segments of the
Chicago - Aurora Subdivision. Class C trains to 70. On track three, A&B
trains are limited to 70 and C to 60 mph.

I hope this is helpful.

Ed DeRouin